Friday, March 15, 2013

Make your own...DIY Yumminess!

tag:
The past few days I've felt a creeping craving...that nothing-else-will-do but a sweet treat feeling! Yesterday I decided it was time to satisfy that craving. But with what? Nothing in the pantry felt like it would be all that satisfying. Then I realized it wasn't just a craving to eat a sweet. It was a craving to create. It's so much more satisfying to savor your own creations. And I'm reminded of Rule #39 in Michael Pollan's book Food Rules: "Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself". That is a good one for helping to keep the ol' sweet tooth in check, not to mention having a greater knowing of exactly what you are eating. And what I decided I wanted to be eating was cupcakes...yum! One of my favorites, though I rarely make them. This brings me to the real reason for my share today...this is a great recipe! I used the base of a recipe I found online, with lots of changes to make them mine. Here is the morph of that recipe:

Gluten Free, Vegetarian (option) Hearty Chocolatey Goodness!


1 1/2 cups Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut sugar (or other granulated sugar)
1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup gluten free oats (optional)
1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon


*If you leave out oats/coconut flakes, be sure to decrease amount of chocolate hazelnut milk/water added. Feel free to contact me with questions!
5 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses (optional)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg (or 1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 1/4 cup water)
1 1/3 cup chocolate hazelnut milk (original recipe called for cold water) 
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1 cup walnuts or goji berries (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 
2.In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients except for hazelnut milk. Add wet to dry. When dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened, pour in hazelnut milk and stir until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips (and nuts, berries if adding) and pour batter into lined cupcake tins.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Enjoy!!

These are super hearty and yummy on their own, though I do like to frost them. This round I melted some coconut oil, then added cacao, cinnamon and a little maple and cayenne to taste. Once this concoction hardens a bit, it's the perfect addition to this little handful of heaven! These are great to make as a gift...imagine how many smiles you could evoke by giving a cupcake to a friend, a neighbor, a stranger. Just be sure to save one for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!